Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Motorcycle Resto

I've always been a fan of bikes and grew up riding them from motocross to street. It's been quite a few years since I've been on a bike but the itch has always been there, so I caved and got another one. 
This time I went big, and challenging and something that you don't see on the road as much. My latest project has been restoring a 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100. Yep, that old school touring bike that looked like a space ship on two wheels. My goal here was to strip this beast of a bike down and go cafe brat style. Make it look completely different... And better.
Here's what the bike originally looked like:

Here's a pic of her gettin naked:


This Jap was super clean when I bought it, and I say Jap albeit the bike was made in the US. Yeah, you read that correctly. Gold Wings were manufactured in Marysville, Ohio but whatever, it's a rad bike and I wasn't concerned about where it was made. If I was searching for "US" made I would've gone Harley or Indian.
Engine wise, this 4 cylinder beast was designed and built to run forever. The previous owner kept it clean and well maintained so rebuilding the engine was not needed. 

Here's some progress pics:

Strippin her down for some new paint:



Sanded down the side covers:

 Painted the tank a two tone color:



Some new brat style bars:

Old seat:

Customized old seat to a new seat:
First, got cray cray with a knife and the seat foam.

Cut the seat pan to a more slim profile:


After I shaped the seat to what I wanted I picked out the upholstery and had it wrapped. Wanted a brown vintage look to go with that matte black:

After some more paint and cleaning the electrical up with new lights the progression is real:


New pipes:

More pics to follow after I get the new gauges installed and some new tires but she's about 90% there. Been a fun project. Can't wait to take her on a road trip!

Thanks for checking out the post. If you ride or are working on a bike what is it?  Holler at me here or on Insta @shiftdunion 

-Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment